Academic Success and
The Community College
The START (Summer Bridge) Program is a four-week program that runs during the second summer term from July 11, 2022—July 29, 2022, Monday-Thursday only, plus one Friday Field Trip. If you are eligible for Student Support Services/TRIO and accepted for Summer Bridge Program, there is no tuition fee for the program courses; however, students are responsible for other college costs such as books, dorm fees, transportation, etc.
Why Attend the START (Summer Bridge) Program?
START is designed to provide students with opportunities to:
- Bridge the transition from high school and/or work to community college
- Earn up to nine college credits
- Get a “head start” or “jump” on community college life prior to the Fall semester
- Become aware of options available at the community college
- Maximize academic potential
- Increase basic academic skills and preparation for college especially for students with ACTs below 18, or less, in English, Reading, and/or Math
- Improve self-esteem, self-confidence, and motivation
- Plan effectively and set goals
- Study and learn effectively
- Be aware of career choices and pathways at the community college
- Understand the structure, operations, expectations, policies and procedures at the community college
- Possibly decrease the amount of time spent in developmental courses
Complete the following steps to be considered for the START Program:
- Submit a completed and signed admissions application to the PRCC Office of Admissions for the Summer semester. Include an official high school or GED test transcript indicating passing with your ACT scores.
- Print a START (Summer Bridge) application or for more information contact Student Support Services/TRiO at (601) 403-1469 or (601) 403-1285. Mail or fax the completed application.
Program applications will be reviewed and START students will be selected. Selected students must be accepted and enrolled in the college.