POLICY OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF PEARL RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE Tuesday, July 8, 1997 4 Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Student Affairs
Pearl River Community College will provide a safe and healthy environment suitable for exercise and the enjoyment of physical activity.
Adherence to the following guidelines will help ensure safety as well as proper use and care of the equipment and facility.
All members must be:
- Be at least 16 years of age to use the facility, present your PRCC ID/community membership card, log-in upon entering the facility, and log-out as you leave the facility. Guest passes are unavailable.
- Wear proper clothing because it is important for safe and enjoyable exercise. Quality shoes are highly recommended. Proper footwear can help prevent injuries.The following dress code is required when exercising. This includes exercise inside the facility, both indoor and outdoor walking tracks, outdoor exercise equipment, bicycle rental, and any exercise-related activity hosted by the Wellness Center:
- Athletic clothing including athletic pants and shorts, t-shirts and tank tops. Shirts must fully cover the abdomen, chest, and torso. Sports bras must be covered by a shirt.
- Athletic shoes, worn with socks, including running, walking, cross training, and aerobic shoes.
- Blue jeans with athletic footwear are appropriate for the indoor and outdoor walking tracks.
- Helmets must be worn while riding bicycles.
- Bring and use a sweat towel. All participants are expected to maintain proper personal hygiene when using the equipment and the facility. Wipe off perspiration from each piece of exercise equipment as you move through your workout.
- Use proper conduct while you are in the facility. Foul language, harassment of any kind, and other conduct considered improper by the College or Wellness Center staff are not allowed.
- Lock your valuables in a locker or keep them with you while you exercise. The Wellness Center is not responsible for personal items brought into the facility. DO NOT leave valuable items unattended. Lockers are available for your use while you are in the facility (you must bring your own lock). Remove your lock and belongings when you have completed your workout.
- Cell phones are permitted only on the walking track, in the lobby, and in locker rooms. Phones must be kept on silent or vibrate while in the Wellness Center. You may use your cell phone to listen to music while working out. Personal music played aloud through phone or speakers is not permitted.
- Keep food, drinks, and chewing gum out of the workout area. Water and sports drinks are permitted in closed plastic containers. No supplements or workout shakes allowed in the facility.
- Use equipment properly. Weight machines and free weights should be used with proper form and in a slow, controlled manner. A spotter may be required and is recommended when lifting heavy weights. Report any equipment that is not working properly to a staff member. Equipment should be returned to proper storage location and weight plates should be removed from bars after use. Our staff reserves the right to ask a member to discontinue any exercise that is deemed improper or unsafe.
- Avoid exercise at the Wellness Center if you are not feeling well, or if you are experiencing weakness or dizziness, or you are excessively fatigued. Do not exercise if you have a contagious illness or have an injury that can be aggravated with exercise. Seek medical attention prior to returning to the Wellness Center..
- Follow any other rules or regulations stated in the Student Handbook not specifically covered by this policy are applicable.