POLICY OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF PEARL RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE Tuesday, August 13, 2002 1 Friday, January 3, 2003 Educational Programs
Pearl River Community College supports the Garvin H. Johnston Library (including the Learning Lab and Media Services) at the main campus in Poplarville with branches at the Forrest County Center in Hattiesburg and at the Hancock Center in Waveland.
The purpose of the College Libraries is to support and enhance the curriculum of the college and meet the educational needs and interests of the college community.
In striving to accomplish this, the following goals have been set:
- To select, acquire, and organize print and non-print materials that will meet the needs of faculty, staff, and students in an atmosphere that encourages learning.
- To provide comprehensive, current collections of diverse materials and formats purchased in compliance with sound selection guidelines.
- To provide appropriate technology in order to enhance learning, instruction, and information retrieval.
- To adequately staff Learning Resource facilities with qualified individuals and to serve users in a professional manner.
- To maintain and develop Learning Resource services that meet the educational needs and interest of the college community.
- To provide resources to the distance education learner as well as the traditional learner.
- To serve as an extension of the classroom by providing an orientation program that teaches effective use of the Library and encourages the use of all materials.
- To provide media services to faculty and staff in order to support them in their teaching and presentations.
- To cooperate with other institutions, libraries, and agencies in the sharing of resources throughout the state.