The Spirit of the River
The Spirit of the River is the largest and most visible of the instrumental ensembles at PRCC. The band has a history and tradition at PRCC going back almost 100 years. The Spirit of the River is a vital part of the campus performing at football games, campus events, parades, and in exhibition at area marching competitions.
Service Scholarship information:
- All members of The Spirit of the River receive a full-tuition service award of $1,625 for the fall semester. There are additional service awards available for concert ensembles, jazz band, basketball pep band, and chamber groups. All service awards and scholarships can be stacked and may be applied toward tuition, housing, and dining plans
- Auditions for drum major, color guard, and the “String of Pearls” dance team are held in March or April each year. Members of these groups also receive a full-tuition service award during the fall semester upon earning a spot on the team.
Audition contacts: String of Pearls, Mike Bass, and Color Guard & Drum Major, Lauren Bond – email@example.com.
- Jerry Pickering, Assistant Band Director and Director of The Spirit of the River – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Gilstrap, Assistant Band Director and Director of Percussion – email@example.com
PRCC Brass Ensemble
PRCC Honors Brass Quintet consists of 2 trumpets, horn, trombone, and tuba.
Service Award info:
- Service Award is a half-tuition scholarship (Fall and Spring semesters)
- The ensemble will perform at functions on and off-campus. In addition, it will be a recruiting ensemble that will travel to local high schools to represent PRCC in recruiting efforts.
- Auditions are due by the end of May (or until filled)
- Auditions will consist of excerpts from the brass quintet literature that will be recorded and emailed to Mr. Bass.
Michael Bass – firstname.lastname@example.org
PRCC Concert Band
The PRCC Wind Ensemble and Concert Band performs and rehearses during the Spring semester of each academic year. Members are auditioned at the beginning of the Fall semester for placement in their respective band and section. The Wind Ensemble gives a concert at the Pearl River Regional Band Clinic and both the Wind Ensemble and Concert Band will give an end-of-semester concert. Service Awards for the Spring semester are awarded to all members of the Wind Ensemble and Concert Band.
Service Award info:
- Wind Ensemble – $1300.00 (spring semester only)
- Concert Band – $1200.00 (spring semester only)
- Auditions normally occur at band camp before the start of the fall semester of the academic year.
- Auditions consist of scales and sightreading.
PRCC “Jazz Cats” Band
The “Jazz Cats” consists of 5 saxes, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, and a rhythm section (piano, bass, guitar, percussion, and drums). Members are selected through an audition held before the Fall semester of each year. The “Jazz Cats” tours the district high schools during the Spring semester and performs at various school and civic functions. Repertoire consists of rock, jazz, Latin, and swing styles. A service award is available to each member during the Spring semester.
Service Award information:
- Half tuition (fall and spring semesters)
- Performances include Halloween concert, Winter Wonderland Concert, PRCC Regional Band Clinic, Spring Concert, and tour area high schools.
- Auditions occur during band camp before school starts for the fall semester.
- Auditions consist of scales and a prepared piece sent out approximately 2 weeks before auditions.
String of Pearls
The String of Pearls Dance Team was established over 50 years ago. This award-winning group has performed at many exciting venues and received numerous accolades throughout the years. The Fall team members perform at football games and area parades as an integral part of the “Spirit of the River” Marching Band. The Spring team members perform at basketball games. The Spring squad is also a traveling competitive team that has earned both state and national champion titles for many years.
Service Award info:
- Fall Semester – Full Tuition
- Spring Semester – $1000.00
- Fall Team – April
- Spring Team – November
PRCC Pep Band
The PRCC Pep Band is under the direction of Dr. Andy Gilstrap. Pep Band meets during the spring semester and performs at home basketball games. Service awards are awarded to all members of the PRCC Pep Band.
- $300 Service Award
- Spring Semester
- Contact Dr. Andrew Gilstrap for more information.
- Dr. Andrew Gilstrap – email@example.com