How To Apply
Dear Prospective Student:
We are pleased that you have shown interest in the Surgical Technology program at Pearl River Community College. We look forward to communicating with you and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
We will be glad to schedule an advisement appointment if needed.
- Deadline to apply for the August (Fall semester) class is May 1.
- Deadline to apply for the January (Spring semester) class is October 1.
- Prerequisite coursework is not required but recommended.
Please follow the steps below before or by the deadlines to ensure that your application is complete.
Step 1: Complete the PRCC Admissions Application. Within 3-5 days, you will receive RiverGuide Credentials.
Step 2: Once you receive your RiverGuide credentials, use them to complete the Surgical Technology Application (known as Survey).
Step 3: You must eScript (preferred) or mail an official high school transcript and official transcripts from all previously attended colleges to:
Pearl River Community College
Office of Admissions
101 Highway 11 North
Poplarville, MS 39470
Step 4: You must have an ACT minimum score of 16 (18 preferred) on file at PRCC.
Step 5: High school Transcripts and Official College Transcripts of all previous colleges attended must be on file with PRCC
- You have the option of saving your application (survey) information before submitting, exiting, and returning at a later date to complete the application(survey).
- Once you have completed the information and submitted the application (survey), the application (survey)will no longer be available to you.
- You will receive an email stating that your application (survey) has been submitted for the current program application period along with further information.
You will receive an e-mail from Jamie Walley, SUT Administrative Assistant, within 2 weeks of completing your application (survey).
- If you do not receive an e-mail, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your file.
- Your file will be considered incomplete if the requirements are not met.
Program Application Checklist:
Applicants must have a completed file which includes the following items:
- PRCC online Application
- SUT Application (Survey located in RiverGuide)
- Official College transcripts of all colleges you have attended (You are responsible for making sure we have these on file)
- Official High School Transcript (if you have less than 9 semester credit hours of coursework within SUT Plan of Study)
- ACT score a minimum of 16 (Preferably 18 or higher)
It is your responsibility to make sure your file is complete.
Applicants with the highest points for ACT and GPA will be invited for an interview. Applicants will be selected based on the following:
- Selection Process Guidelines (PDF-Selection Process)
- Knowledge of the Surgical Technology field and duties of a Surgical Technologist.
- Interest in becoming a Surgical Technologist.
- Verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Alternates may be chosen to fill vacancies that could arise before the end of late registration.
Please note, that if you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email from Jamie Walley concerning the dates and times of the interviews.
- Application submission and/or meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
- Completed file and participation in the Interview do not guarantee a position in the class.
- All statements related to admission criteria or announcements of present policies are subject to revisions.
- Any advice given by the Surgical Technology department regarding coursework does not ensure acceptance into the program.
Requirements After Program Acceptance:
Upon being offered a position in the Surgical Technology program, the following additional requirements will be discussed during the Mandatory SUT Orientation Session.
- For those applicants offered a position in the upcoming class, specific requirements and deadlines will have to be met or you may lose your position in the class and the open position may then be filled with an Alternate. Students are financially responsible for the following requirements and most of the requirements must be met by deadline given.
- Due dates, requirements, and deadlines will be given and discussed during the SUT Orientation Session.
Do not begin to obtain any of the following until after the Orientation Session.
- Physical Examination
- 10-panel Drug Screen with negative results
- Cleared Criminal Background Check
- Completed DPT Primary Immunizations
- Hepatitis B immunization series or declination waiver
- Flu vaccination within the current flu season/s
- COVID vaccination (per Clinical site request)
- Tetanus shot within the past 10 years
- TB skin test with negative results (if positive results, proof of a cleared chest x-ray) or provide evidence of no TB disease per negative result of T-Spot or Quantiferon Gold blood test
- Health Insurance (must remain current and provide proof according to requirements)
- Auto Insurance (must remain current and provide proof according to requirements)
- CPR-C Healthcare Provider Certification (must remain current)
- Valid Driver’s License (must remain current)
- 2 Professional Letters of Recommendation within the past 3 months
- AST membership (must remain current)
- It is mandatory that Program students meet all Clinical affiliate requirements and be eligible to rotate through all Clinical sites at all times. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the SUT Program.
- Additional requirements may need to be met at the request of the various clinical sites.
Allied Health Program notes:
- Surgical Technology students may be randomly selected for a drug screening at any time during the course of the program, and the student will be responsible for all associated costs.
- Surgical Technology students may be exposed to various bloodborne pathogens, infectious diseases, and blood and bodily fluids. Universal and Standard Precautions as well as PPE (personal protective equipment) will be covered during the didactic and clinical portions of the SUT Program.
- Health Care Criminal History Background Check: Applicants for PRCC Allied Health/Nursing Programs may be required to submit fingerprints for a Criminal Background Check in accordance with Mississippi State Law. This process may be required by Clinical Sites. If any student is found to have a disqualifying event on their background check, they may be prohibited from attending Clinicals and therefore will not meet Clinical criteria and will not be allowed to continue in the Program.
- Scrub on a minimum of 120 surgical cases meeting specific requirements.
- Sit for the National Certification Exam for Surgical Technologists (CST), administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Pass all SUT Plan of Study required courses with a “C” or higher.
- Have a minimum of overall 2.0 GPA.
Affiliates and Program Outcomes:
For more information on the PRCC SUT program affiliates and program outcomes, please visit the SUT Accreditation page.