How To Apply
Dear Prospective Student:
We are pleased that you have shown an interest in the Dental Hygiene program at Pearl River Community College. The enclosed application packet contains all the information you will need to successfully apply to the program. Applicants that have completed all academic prerequisites are encouraged to apply by February 1st. The deadline to apply for the August 2021 class is February 28 each year.
Each spring semester the Dental Hygiene Technology program will hold Information Sessions for fall applicants. Please see the information below for the scheduled Information Sessions. Information Sessions are not mandatory but will be an opportunity for students to tour the facility and meet faculty and current students. Applicants who attend an information session will receive credit on the Admissions Rubric
NOTE: The Fall 2022 application is closed. Please check back for information for the 2023 Dental Hygiene Information Sessions.
Applicants must have the following documents on file in the Admission’s office to be considered for admission to the program. Please follow the steps below to ensure that your application is complete.
The following items must be completed and submitted prior to February 28.
- PRCC Application – completed online
- Once you receive your RiverGuide credentials, use them to complete the Dental Hygiene Program Application
- ACT Score – sent to PRCC. Applicants must have an ACT score of 18 or higher to be considered for the program.
- Official College transcripts from all colleges attended – mailed to the Dental Hygiene Department
Note: If college work was completed at PRCC in either Poplarville or Hattiesburg, please indicate this on your application and we will be able to retrieve your transcript. You do not have to send an official PRCC transcript.
- Handwritten Autobiographical Essay – Mailed to Dental Hygiene Department
- Verification of Observation Hours Form - Observe a Registered Dental Hygienist a minimum of four (4) hours and have the verification form completed and returned to the Dental Hygiene Department.
- Course List Form – Applicants, please fill out this form with any academic class(s) that you have completed. Please include the semester the class was taken and the grade you received in this course.
- All applicants must provide a proof of residency.
PRCC Admissions Department:
Pearl River Community
101 Hwy 11 North
Poplarville, MS 39470
PRCC Dental Hygiene Program:
Pearl River Community College
Attn: Dental Hygiene Department
5448 US Hwy 49 South
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
All states require licensure to practice this profession. A license is issued by the State Board of Dental Examiners after successful completion of both clinical and written examination. The National Board of Dental Hygiene Examination must also be passed to qualify for licensure.
Special Admission Requirements
Only the courses listed below will be used in computing grade point averages: A & P I and II, Microbiology, and Chemistry must have been completed within the last 5 years.
- English Composition I
- Microbiology and Lab
- Anatomy and Physiology I and Lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II and Lab
- Chemistry and Lab
- Oral Communications
- Nutrition is highly recommended
- Academic standing of “probation”, “suspension”, “dismissal” or the like at other institutions is considered in the evaluation of applicants.
- Completion of the Dental Hygiene academic core curriculum prior to application does not guarantee admission to the program.
- Students not selected for admission must reapply before February 28th of the next year to be considered for the fall of 2022 class.
- Meeting the minimum requirements listed above does not guarantee any applicant admission to the Dental Hygiene program or an interview.
- Upon acceptance, the applicant must submit a college approved health/vaccination form and complete CPR training for health care providers with an AED component. Students accepted into the program will also complete a background check and drug screen prior to starting classes.
*All statements related to admission criteria or announcements of present policies are subject to revisions.
*Any advice given by the Dental Hygiene Technology Department regarding coursework does not ensure acceptance into the program.
Please note, if you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email concerning dates and times of interviews.