After World War II, the nation was inundated with returning servicemen, many of them young men, who were ready to begin a life that was put on hold by the war. Most of these young men had been fresh out of high school when they entered the Armed Forces. Many joined before they graduated. The U.S. Government offered incintives to Veterans who wanted to take a high school eqivalency test (GED) or who wanted to begin a college education. Pearl River College responded by building a building in 1947 for married veterans, offering the GED and offering vocational courses. The fifties were a time of remodeling the school’s curriculum to include courses that offered training for job skills. Because of the influx of Veterans, enrollment began to rise, creating the building boom of the sixties.