Welcome to our most exciting event for new Wildcats! ROAR is PRCC’s Orientation program for all incoming students. This is where students will learn important information to prepare them for the first day of school, as well as be advised and register for their classes.
ROAR Registration for summer & fall 2022 is now open!
What to Expect During Your ROAR Experience
1. Register for ROAR in your RiverGuide account upon receiving your log-in credentials. Be sure admissions have received all required documents (transcripts & test scores) – highly recommended: complete FAFSA prior to ROAR.
Trouble logging into RiverGuide? Check out our RiverGuide Troubleshooting tips below!
2. Complete your ROAR Experience in Canvas. Check your email within 24 hours of registering, and click the self-enroll link to get started. Within your Canvas course, you will watch important videos that will guide you through getting prepared for your advisement appointment and for your first day at PRCC. Here you will also schedule your advising appointment and have the option to be advised in-person (highly encouraged), virtually, or by phone.
3. Attend your advising appointment to register for classes. You'll have a one-on-one meeting with an advisor who will answer all your questions and make sure you are prepared for your first day of class!
4. Finally, we encourage you visit campus for Wildcat Welcome, an on-campus event to help you prepare for your first day at PRCC. This is a come & go event between 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. At Wildcat Welcome, information sessions about financial aid, student activities, parent sessions, and much more will be available. While you are on campus, we would also recommend getting your student ID and parking decal, taking a campus tour, and visiting the Wildcat Den Bookstore to pick up any books you might need. *This final step is optional and not required for fully online students. Be sure to RSVP!
Wildcat Welcome Dates:
Hattiesburg Campus - June 27 & July 27 Agenda
Poplarville Campus - June 28 & July 28 Agenda
August 4 - Waveland Center
In your ROAR Experience course, you will schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor at a time that is convenient for you!
Having trouble logging in to RiverGuide? Try these tips first:
1. Use either Firefox or Chrome Internet browser. Internet Explorer will produce more errors than one of the other browsers listed.
2. Click “Sign In” only ONCE. Multiple clicks will result in an authentication error.
3. Make sure you are entering the correct username and password.
4. Clear the cache/cookies in your web browser. Use the help feature in your browser to find instructions on how to clear your cache/cookies).
5. For information on setting up the OneLogin Multi Factor Authentication, visit I.T.'s How To page http://www.prcc.edu/it/faq.
6. If you are still having trouble logging in, do not change your password. Contact the I.T. Helpdesk at 1-844-292-3214. They can help you reset your password in a more effective way.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ROAR?
- How do I sign up for ROAR?
- Who should participate?
- How long will ROAR take?
- What will I learn at ROAR?
- What is a ROAR Express session?
- Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
- What do I need to have on hand for ROAR?
- Can my parents or a guest sit in on my virtual advising appointment?
- When can I apply for housing?
- When can I get a parking decal?
- When can I pay my bill?
- I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
- I plan to be a Fully Online student, do I still need to participate in ROAR?
Q: What is ROAR?
A: ROAR (Ready, Orient, Advise, Register) is PRCC’s Orientation program. Here you will begin your journey as a new student at PRCC. You will learn about campus resources, academic expectations, how to get involved on campus, and register for classes.
A: All incoming students planning to attend PRCC are required to participate, including transfers. You must complete your admissions file before attending your advising appointment. You should have received an acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions after completing the application process. Please call (601) 403-1214 (Poplarville Campus) or (601) 554-5519 (Forrest County Center) or email email@example.com to verify your completion of the admissions process if you have not received an acceptance letter or e-mail. We also encourage you to begin the financial aid process by applying for FAFSA online at www.studentaid.gov.
Q: How long will ROAR take?
A: The time it takes to complete your ROAR Experience is completely up to you! Your ROAR Experience Canvas course should take no more than 30 minutes to complete. Your advising appointment will last about 30 minutes - 1 hour also. We encourage you to visit us in person for your appointment.
- What RiverGuide, our student portal, has to offer
- How to schedule a Campus Tour
- How to prepare for your advisement appointment appointment
- How to take care of other college business (financial aid, student ID, etc.)
- and much more!
Q: What is a ROAR Express session?
A: ROAR Express sessions are shortened orientation sessions that we provide on campus during PRCC's Open Registration days. Just like our ROAR Experience, you will learn what you need to know to begin the semester at PRCC and will meet with an advisor to register for classes.
Q: Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
A: Absolutely! We make sure that each student who participates in ROAR enrolls in the courses they need for the upcoming semester.
- Your PRCC username and password that was e-mailed to you after you were accepted. It is very important you have this information with you to access your ROAR Experience course in Canvas.
- Any ACT scores or transcripts that have not already been sent to the PRCC Admissions Office (including transcripts for any Dual Enrollment courses you have completed at another college). You will be unable to register for classes without first being accepted to PRCC through the Admissions Office. (Please note: The advising appointment will run much more smoothly for you if you send your transcripts to PRCC at least one week ahead of your advising appointment time.)
Q: Can my parents or a guest attend my advising appointment?
A: One parent or guest is welcome to join you.
Q: When can I apply for housing?
A: Please note, if you plan to stay in Student Housing, be aware that dorms typically stay full throughout the academic year. However, you are welcome to submit a housing application online through your RiverGuide account. You may email the Student Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Q: When can I get a parking decal?
A: Parking decals are available for purchase for the new school year after June 1 and can be accessed online here or you can pay in person at the Business Office on campus. After purchasing your parking decal, it will be available for pickup at the Campus Police department when you're able to come to campus.
Q: When can I pay my bill?
A: Once your bill is generated, you can log into RiverGuide and pay using the Pay My Bill icon. This is a secured PayPal system. Summer tuition and fees are normally generated around the second week of May. Fall tuition and fees are generated the second week in July. Spring tuition and fees are generated around the second week of December. You can also set up a payment plan for any semester. Just click the Payment Plan option in RiverGuide to learn more. Email any questions regarding your bill to email@example.com. If you prefer to mail in a check, here's the address:
Pearl River Community College
101 Hwy 11 North Box 5060
Poplarville, MS 39470
Q: I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
A: If you want to change your major, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-403-1250. Be sure to provide us with your student ID number and your new major.
If you have more questions:
First-Year Experience Staff
Dr. Lisa Wall, Director of First-Year Experience
Ms. Emily Sheckells, ROAR Orientation Coordinator
Pearl River Community College offers equal education and employment opportunities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran status, or disability. For inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy or to request accommodations, special assistance, or alternate format publications, contact Eddie Sandifer, ADA Coordinator, 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1215. For inquiries regarding Title IX, contact Alexandra Kennedy, Title IX Coordinator, at 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1253.