Welcome to our most exciting event for new Wildcats! ROAR is PRCC’s New Student Orientation. This is where students will learn important information about their first semester as well as be advised and register for their classes.
What to Expect During Your Virtual ROAR Experience
1. Register for ROAR in your RiverGuide account upon receiving your log-in credentials. Be sure admissions has received all required documents before your ROAR date (transcripts & test scores) – highly recommended: complete FAFSA prior to ROAR.
Trouble logging in to RiverGuide? Check out our RiverGuide Troubleshooting tips below!
2. Complete the first part of your ROAR Experience in Canvas. You'll watch helpful and important videos that will guide you through getting prepared for the upcoming semester.
3. Attend your advising appointment to register for classes. You'll have a one-on-one meeting with an advisor who will answer all your questions and make sure your are prepared for your first day of class!
4. Finally, you will receive communication with dates and times on when to visit campus to get your ID and parking decal. While you are on campus, we would also recommend taking a campus tour and visiting the Wildcat Den Bookstore to pick up any books you might need. *This final step is optional and not required for fully-online students.
Planning to start this Fall (August - December) 2021, you can register for any of the ROAR dates below:
- May 25 (Reserved for Fine Arts and Scholars)
- June 8
- June 15
- June 22
- June 29
- July 13
- July 20
- July 27
If you are planning to start during the spring or summer semesters, self-paced ROAR sessions are available for you too!
Visit our ROAR Checklist page for more details about your ROAR Experience!
Having trouble logging in to RiverGuide? Try these tips first:
1. Use either Firefox or Chrome Internet browser. Internet Explorer will produce more errors than one of the other browsers listed.
2. Click “Sign In” only ONCE. Multiple clicks will result in an authentication error.
3. Make sure you are entering the correct username and password.
4. Clear the cache/cookies in your web browser. Use the help feature in your browser to find instructions on how to clear your cache/cookies).
5. If you are still having trouble logging in, do not change your password. Contact the IT Helpdesk at 601-403-1800. They can help you reset your password in a more effective way.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ROAR?
- How do I sign up for ROAR?
- Who should participate?
- How long will ROAR take?
- What will I learn at ROAR?
- What is a ROAR Express session?
- Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
- What do I need to have on hand for ROAR?
- Can my parents or a guest sit in on my virtual advising appointmnet?
- When can I apply for housing?
- When can I get a parking decal?
- When can I pay my bill?
- I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
- I plan to be a Fully Online student, do I still need to participate in ROAR?
Q: What is ROAR?
A: ROAR is PRCC’s new student orientation. Here you will begin your journey as a new freshman where you will learn about campus resources, academic expectations, how to get involved on campus, and create your class schedule.
Q: How do I sign up for ROAR?
A: Use your PRCC RiverGuide credentials to log into RiverGuide. In RiverGuide, select “Menu” in the top left corner and then select ROAR Checklist. Select the option that applies to you, and follow the links on that page to sign up for the appropriate session.
A: All new freshmen students planning to attend PRCC are required to participate. Transfer students are also welcome to participate in the ROAR experience. You must complete your admissions file before attending your ROAR session. You should have received an acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions after completing the application process. Please call (601) 403-1214(Poplarville Campus) or (601) 554-5519 (Forrest County Center) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your completion of the admissions process if you have not received an acceptance letter or e-mail. We also encourage you to begin the financial aid process by applying for FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Q: How long will ROAR take?
A: ROAR sessions will be conducted virtually. The time it takes to complete your ROAR experence is completely up to you! Your ROAR Experience Canvas course should take no more than an hour to complete. Your advising appointment will last between 30 minutes - 1 hour also.
- Learn about campus resources
- Explore what RiverGuide, our student portal, has to offer
- How to schedule a Campus Tour
- Understand college expectations
- Get involved with campus life
- How to register for classes
- How to take care of other college business (financial aid, student ID, etc.)
Q: What is a ROAR Express session?
A: ROAR Expresss sessions are shortened orientation sessions that we provide on campus during PRCC's Open Registration days. Just like our virtual ROAR experience, you will learn what you need to know to begin the semester at PRCC and will meet with an advisor to create your schedule.
Q: Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
A: Absolutely! We make sure that each student who participates in ROAR enrolls in the courses they need for the upcoming semester.
- Your PRCC username and password that was e-mailed to you after you were accepted. It is very important you have this information with you at your ROAR session.
- Any ACT scores or transcripts that have not already been sent to the PRCC Admissions Office (including transcripts for any Dual Enrollment courses you have completed at another college). You will be unable to register for classes without first being accepted to PRCC through the Admissions Office. (Please note: The advising appointment will run much more smoothly for you if you send your transcripts to PRCC at least one week ahead of your advising appointment time.)
Q: Can my parents or a guest sit in on my virtual advising appointment?
A: Parents and guests are welcome to sit in on your virtual ROAR session.
Q: When can I apply for housing?
A: Please note, if you plan to stay in Student Housing, be aware that dorms typically stay full throughout the academic year. However, you are welcome to submit a housing application online through your RiverGuide account. You may email the Student Housing Office at email@example.com if you have questions.
Q: When can I get a parking decal?
A: Parking decals are available for purchase for the new school year after June 1 and can be accessed online here or you can pay in person at the Business Office on campus. After purchasing your parking decal, it will be available for pickup at the Campus Police department when you're able to come to campus.
Q: When can I pay my bill?
A: Once your bill is generated, you can log into RiverGuide and pay using the Pay My Bill icon. This is a secured PayPal system. Summer tuition and fees are normally generated around the second week of May. Fall tuition and fees are generated the second week in July. Spring tuition and fees are generated around the second week of December. You can also set up a payment plan for any semester. Just click the Payment Plan option in RiverGuide to learn more. Email any questions regarding your bill to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to mail in a check, here's the address:
Pearl River Community College
101 Hwy 11 North Box 5060
Poplarville, MS 39470
Q: I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
A: If you want to change your major, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 601-403-1250. Be sure to provide us with your student ID number and your new major.
If you have more questions:
Office of Student Success
Pearl River Community College offers equal education and employment opportunities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran status, or disability. For inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy or to request accommodations, special assistance, or alternate format publications, contact Eddie Sandifer, ADA Coordinator, 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1215. For inquiries regarding Title IX, contact Alexandra Kennedy, Title IX Coordinator, at 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1253.