- MLT? What’s that?
- How do I apply?
- After I apply, am I automatically in the program?
- What can I do with my degree in MLT?
- Still not sure? How can learn more?
- Is insurance required?
- Are there any other requirements?
Q: MLT? What’s that?
A: Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLTs) are highly skilled laboratory scientists that get to analyze body fluids, blood cells, bacteria, parasites, and match blood types for transfusion so the patient doesn’t die. MLTs use microscopes and cool high-tech lab equipment to test lab specimens and work with the health care provider for patient diagnosis.
- ACT 18 (ACT of 16 is accepted if English and Algebra are completed with a minimum of “C”.)
- Online PRCC application
- MLT Program application with autobiography
- Official High School Transcript or GED (Required if no college)
- Official transcript of ALL Colleges (E-script preferred)
- ACT Score
- General cumulative GPA
- Science GPA (grade of “C” or better)
- Interview points
- Communication Skills
- Knowledge of the field
- Must be eligible to take College Algebra (MAT 1313/4)
- Only Highest ranking applicants are interviewed
- Class size is 20 students
- Before final acceptance, your health care provider health form must be submitted that includes:
- Hepatitis B vaccinations documentation
- TB skin test
- Color blind test
- 2 MMR vaccinations
- Childhood Vaccination Records
- Hospital and clinic labs
- Research and reference labs
- Veterinarian labs
- Biological and chemical labs
With further education, our graduates can actively compete for acceptance into Medical School, Veterinarian School, Forensic Science, etc.
Q: Still not sure? How can I learn more?
A: Medical Laboratory Technicians are in the Top 20 Healthcare Careers.
NAACLS, ASCP, ASCLS, and Bureau of Labor Statistics
Q: Is insurance required?
A: The student will be responsible for any hospitalization, any emergency treatment and health insurance while enrolled in the MLT program. All students are encouraged to have the appropriate insurance because they will be working with potential infectious specimens.
Q: Are there any other requirements?
A: All PRCC MLT program students will be required to complete a NCI background check (using your fingerprints). According to various sections of the Mississippi law, persons convicted of certain felonies and/or misdemeanors may be refused clinical placement and/or employment by healthcare facilities.