Location(s) of Program: Poplarville Campus
Brief Description of Program: The Barbering Instructor training course is a special course designed to prepare an individual to become a Barbering Instructor.
Essential Requirements of a person in this career field:
- The applicant must meet general admission requirements of Pearl River Community College (See General Admission Procedures).
- The applicant must be twenty-one years of age or older.
- The applicant must have successfully completed not less than fifteen hundred (1500) hours at a barbering school approved by the State Board of Barber Examiners.
- The applicant must have a high school education or the equivalent.
- The applicant must hold a current valid certificate of registration to practice barbering (Barbering License).
- The applicant must have at least two years’ of active practical experience as a registered barber or complete 1000 hours at a barbering school approved by the State Board of Barber Examiners.
Instructor Contact Information for the Program:
Possible Careers in this Program: Most career and technical education teachers work in middle, high, and postsecondary schools, such as 2-year colleges. Others work in technical, trade, and business schools.
What a student can expect from a career in this field: Overall employment of career and technical education teachers is projected to grow 4 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. Demand for career and technical education teachers will be driven by a continued need for programs that prepare students for technical careers.
Possible earnings of jobs in these career field: The median annual wage for career and technical education teachers was $54,020 in May 2016.
Mission of Program: The primary purpose of the instructor course is to train the student in the basic
teaching skills, educational judgments, proper work habits, and desirable attitudes necessary to pass the applicable licensing examination and for competency in entry-level employment as an instructor or a related position.
Goals of Program:
- Project a positive attitude and a sense of personal integrity and self-confidence.
- Practice proper grooming, effective communication skills, and visible poise.
- Understand employer–employee relationships and respect the need to deliver worthy service for value received.