PRCC Associate Degree Nursing invites the public (alumni, community members, past/present employees of college/program, employers of graduates, etc.) to the site review for continuing education to meet the site visit team and share your comments regarding the ADN program in person on Tuesday, February 26th at 2:30 – 3:30pm in the Nursing Building, Tiered Classroom 1.
Location(s) of Program: Poplarville Campus
Brief Description of Program: The Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program at PRCC is designed to prepare graduates for a challenging and satisfying career as a registered nurse (RN). The ADN program begins each fall and spring semester on the Poplarville campus. Once accepted into the ADN program, the traditional option is four semesters in length or the LPN to ADN option is one part-time semester with the remaining two semesters of the traditional program of study. The curriculum includes a balance of nursing and general educational courses. Students have the opportunity to apply nursing theory and skills in the simulation/skills lab and in a variety of healthcare agencies. Clinical settings may include hospitals located within the six counties the college serves as well as clinics, long-term care facilities, physician offices, rehabilitation centers, and K-12 schools. Students are required to provide their own transportation to all clinical experiences.
A graduate of the ADN program is conferred the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and is eligible to write for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become a RN. ADN students must understand that any conviction of a misdemeanor or felony offense may be grounds for refusal by any state board of nursing to issue a license.
The ADN program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and is approved by the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (MS IHL). The ADN program has received continuing accreditation through Spring 2019. Information regarding accreditation and approval status may be directed to:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road Northeast, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
Telephone: (404) 975-5000
Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (MS IHL)
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
Telephone: (601) 432-6486
Essential Requirements of a person in this career field: Admission requirements:
- PRCC student verification.
- ADN application with photo
- Copy of ACT score, if applicable.
- Copy of transcript(s) from all colleges previously attended; including PRCC.
- Copy of high school transcript from an accredited high school or GED test score, if never attended college.
- Copy of Pre-Admission Exam score.
- Completed Criminal Background Check (CBC) questionnaire.
- If applicable, a letter from the dean or director of any ADN or BSN program attended stating date of eligibility to return. Note: If not eligible for immediate return, the waiting period is three (3) years from exit date to apply.
- If applicable, a copy of current unencumbered Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license and a completed LPN Employer Verification form.
- Ability to meet Core Performance Standards: Critical Judgment, Communication, Interpersonal Reactions, Mobility - Physical Strength & Stamina, Motor Skills, and Senses – Auditory, Olfactory, Tactile, & Visual.
Instructor Contact Information for the Program:
Possible Careers in this Program: Registered nurses are able to have careers in many areas of healthcare including but not limited to practice, education, advance practice, public policy, research, and judiciary.
What a student can expect from a career in this field: Students can expect to be challenged physically, mentally, and spiritually in this career and still find fulfillment in aiding patients and their families at a time when they are most vulnerable.
Possible earnings of jobs in these career field: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (May, 2017), the current national annual median wage is $70,000 with hourly median wage at $33.65. In Mississippi, the current annual mean wage is $57,000 with hourly mean wage at $27.74.
Mission of Program: The ADN program at PRCC is committed to instruct students in the art and science of nursing, to prepare graduates for successful passage of the NCLEX-RN exam, and to provide students with the skills necessary to practice as entry-level registered nurses in diverse healthcare settings.
Goals of Program:Upon completion of the program, the PRCC-ADN graduate will be able to:
- Deliver quality, safe and effective patient-centered care.
- Apply the nursing process while delivering care that encompasses the needs and culture preferences of the patient through advocacy, caring, and communication.
- Demonstrate leadership and professionalism through delegation, prioritization, teaching/learning, and critical thinking – taking into account any ethical or legal implications.
- Utilize evidence-based practice to guide nursing care through understanding of inclusivity and the needs of the patient throughout the lifespan.
- Collaborate with inter-professional healthcare teams to provide patient-centered care through communication and documentation.