Over the years, Pearl River College has produced a catalog, beginning with the 1909 catalog, about the school and its benefits. These catalogs have been a great source of information about PRCC's beginnings. These pictures were found in the 1928 catalog (original copy in the Alumni Building with a photocopy on file in the PRCC Museum.)
This is a view of the campus taken from about where Highway 11 and West North street intersect. Since White Hall was still in the planning stages, Batson Hall is clearly visible from this vantage point.
This view of the campus was taken from about where White Hall now stands. Note that College Hall (Moody Hall), which would have been a little over a year old when this photo was taken, is the building to the far right.
Batson Hall was a dominant structure on campus, and one the school could be proud of its imposing columnar front gave the school an air of distinction. Even though Pearl River county was not a particularly populous area, the facilities were as commanding as those found at any other AHS in the state, even those in the more populated and progressive areas.
College Hall (Moody Hall) was built to accommodate the newly established college. With over 22,000 square feet, it was as large as any educational building in the southern part of Mississippi. Completed in 1926, the building housed college classrooms, administrative offices, and a combination gym/auditorium on the rear wing.
This architects rendering of White Hall shows a different facade than is seen today. The original drawing depicts brick columns, but the structure was known to have been fitted with white columns, in keeping with the other buildings on campus. Since then, White Hall's front portico has given way to enclosed stairwells.
The gas plant was used in the production of electricity on the campus. Prior to the REA project, many rural areas were without electricity. Early on, PRCAHS installed electric generators. The school, with its vegetable and farm animal production was very much a self sustaining institution.
The Girl Reserves Club room was located in Batson Hall. Anyone having information about the Girl Reserves should use the form located at the bottom of the page.
The Physics Department was probably located in College Hall (Moody Hall). Note the two drawer desk at the rear of the room. One of these desks can be seen in the Pearl River Community College Museum located in Hancock Hall.
This is a picture of the Home Economics classroom. It was probably located in College Hall (Moody Hall).
This picture shows that physical education was an important part of school life, even as early as 1928.