As a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), Pearl River Community College (PRCC) is committed to continuing its accreditation by ensuring that it meets its mission of “providing quality educational and service opportunities for all who seek them” in accordance with all policies and procedures required by the SACSCOC, including the requirement to notify SACSCOC of substantive changes, and, when required, seeking approval prior to the initiation of changes.
Substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution and includes, among others, the following:
- Any change in the established mission or objectives of the institution.
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated.
- A change from clock hours to credit hours.
- A substantial increase in the number of clock or credit hours awarded for successful completion of a program.
- The establishment of an additional location geographically apart from the main campus at which the institution offers at least 50 percent of an educational program.
- Closing a program, off-campus site, branch campus, or institution.
- Entering into a collaborative academic arrangement such as a dual degree program or a joint degree program with another institution.
(For a more complete listing of substantive changes, go to the SACSCOC web site.)
Recommendations regarding changes which may be classified as substantive are to be directed to both the College President and the SACS Liaison for review. In order to assist with this, a form has been constructed for use by the Instructional Council as changes are recommended (see attachment). The SACS Liaison will gather additional input from SACSCOC personnel as needed and will provide the necessary paperwork to the College President so that appropriate information is provided to the SACSCOC in a timely manner. If there is uncertainty regarding the change, the SACSCOC Liaison will contact the SACSCOC staff for consultation. If a change is thought to be substantive, a descriptive letter from the President of the College must be sent to the President of the SACSCOC at least six months prior to implementation of the proposed change.
Both the members of the PRCC community and the public can review this policy, as well as all others, in the printed version of the Policy and Procedure Manual and on the
PRCC web site. In addition, recommendations for changes to the Policy and/or Procedures may be made by sending information to the Chair of the Policy and Procedure Committee as indicated in the Policy and Procedure Manual. As with all college policies, this policy can be reviewed and revised as needed.
Note: Additional information regarding substantive changes can be found at the SACSCOC website. This site includes a more complete listing of possible substantive changes with applicable time frames.