Pearl River Community College has a controlled substance testing program for all students in Barbering, Early Childhood Education Technology, Cosmetology, and Health Related programs. The College will adhere to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, as revised by the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989 (Public Law 101-226). The College will support the laws of the State of Mississippi as set forth in Sections 41-29-101 to 41-29-185, 61-1-37 to 61-1-81, 71-7-1 to 71-7-33, 81, 97-29-7 to 87-29-47, 142 of the Mississippi Code and abide by the Uniform Controlled Substances Law of the State of Mississippi. Under provisions of the Mississippi Code Nurse Practice Act, Chapter 15, Section 73-15-17, the state of Mississippi has the power to deny, revoke or suspend licensure to any person having been convicted of a drug/substance related felony or misdemeanor.
All students enrolled in Barbering, Early Childhood Education Technology, Cosmetology, and Health Related programs must sign the “Substance Screen Consent” form agreeing to be tested for controlled substances. At some time, during the school semester, a percentage of all students enrolled in these programs will be chosen at random to undergo substance testing; this will be determined by the Office of Student Services. Pearl River Community College will bear the expense of random testing.
All students in the Associate Degree Nursing program are required to submit to substance testing each semester. The student is responsible for the cost of this testing, and the cost will be assessed by the College. Any follow-up testing requested by the student is at the student’s expense under the supervision of the program director.
Required substance testing of students in other programs is at the discretion of the program’s director. In addition, any student enrolled in Barbering, Early Childhood Education Technology, Cosmetology, and Health Related programs at Pearl River Community College will be required to have a substance test performed immediately if at any time sensory or behavioral symptoms suggest the use of a substance. Confirmation of sensory or behavioral symptoms is determined by the student’s instructor or other supervising professional and by the opinion of another professional. In those clinical facilities where substance testing is not available, the student will obtain a designated driver, leave the facility, and report to the Office of Student Services immediately. The student is responsible for all expenses associated with this testing and/or treatment.
If the substance screen is positive or if a student refuses to be tested for any reason, the student will obtain a designated driver and leave the facility. The student will be dismissed from the program and advised to seek rehabilitation. The student will be considered for readmission following documented counseling and appropriate treatment by an accredited agency and the student must sign and be in compliance with the Pearl River Community College “Probation Agreement” form. Refer to individual program’s policies for specifications.
Pearl River Community College affords due process to all students in accordance with the law.
Substance Screen Consent
I (print name) ____________________________ have read and understand the Substance Testing for Students in Selected Programs Policy and Procedure printed above and agree to have tests for substances at any time while enrolled in the Pearl River Community College ________________________ program.
_______________________________ _________________________ _______________
Student Signature Student ID Number Date of Birth
Program Director or Department Chair Date
PEARL RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE PROBATION AGREEMENT
This is to certify that I, (print name) ________________________________________ agree to the following conditions for readmission to the Pearl River Community College _____________________ program.
- I must submit a letter from a treatment agency certifying satisfactory completion of an approved treatment program with recommendation for readmission.
- I must report on the first class day of each month for a personal conference with the Program Director or Department Chair and other appropriate personnel. A written report of such conference will be forwarded to the appropriate administrator and a copy of the report will become part of my permanent record.
- I must remain in therapy with _________________________________. If for any reason an appointment is missed, I must notify the Program Director or Department Chair within three school days with an explanation. Failure to comply will result in dismissal without benefit of readmission. Progress reports from the agency or counselor must be submitted in writing at least once a month.
- I will submit to an unannounced substance screening at least monthly and all reports will be submitted to the Program Director or Department Chair.
- Such unannounced specimens will be furnished on demand at the student’s expense.
- Tests shall screen for the presence of alcohol, or other habit forming drugs, narcotics, barbiturates, amphetamines, hallucinogens, or other drugs having similar effect.
- Any suspected illicit substance use or abuse, instance of insobriety, failure to submit specimens for substance screening, failure to keep appointments, or any derogatory information received will be taken to the Program Director or Department Chair and appropriate action will be taken. Copies of all prescriptions for medications must be submitted to the Program Director or Department Chair within three days of filling.
- Controlled substances will not be administered in my capacity as a nursing student for the duration of clinical experiences. I may not serve as an official witness to the administration of any controlled substance. I will not have access to any controlled substance.
- Pearl River Community College may terminate my enrollment at any time for the following causes:
- Any violation of the above stated stipulations.
- Evidence of personal drug usage inconsistent with prescribed therapy.
- Any violation of College policy or procedures as set forth in the College Catalog and Cat Country Guide.
- A copy of this agreement will be sent to the following:
- Student involved.
- Vice President for Instruction.
- Dean of Student Services.
- Program Director or Department Chair.
- Licensing Board when applicable.
This document may be seen only by persons with professional interest and/or necessity of information. This document will be shown only by the persons named in item #8.
WITNESS my signature this ________ day of _______________________, 20______
Program Director or Department Chair Signature