National League for Nursing (NLN) Pre-Admission Exam-RN (PAX-RN)
National League for Nursing Pre-Admission Service
61 Broadway, New York, New York 10006
1-800-669-1656, Ext. 142
Students applying for the Associate Degree Nursing program are required to take the Pre-Admissions Exam (NLN PAX-RN) as part of the application process. Students achieving a composite score of 110 or higher and 50% percentile in each subtest area will be given preference when evaluating applicants for admission.
The NLN PAX-RN exam is offered on the Pearl River Community College Poplarville campus. Students need to take the exam early to allow time for remediation and to retest if necessary. Applicants are allowed to retake the exam as many times as there are versions of the test, but are required to wait 6 months between test dates. Students will need to take the exam prior to the application deadline date.
NOTE: Records show that applicants who have completed College Algebra and some of the required science courses before attempting to take the NLN PAX-RN Exam score higher on the test.
You must register for the exam at least two weeks prior to the scheduled test date.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCHEDULING AN EXAMINATION DATE
To register for the NLN PAX exam follow these steps:
- Go to http://www.nlnonlinetesting.org/pax and click on “Register Now”.
- Enter a log in ID and password and click “next step”.
- Enter contact information and click “next step”.
Note: There are additional pages of required information.
- Click “Finish and Create Account” once you have entered all required information.
- Choose “Registered Nurse (RN Program)” after your page is redirected to the Registration Store and prompted to choose an exam. Register by location, the State in which you are taking the exam and the Institution.
- Select the date you have chosen from the “Test date options”, and click on date desired.
- Pay for exam. You will be prompted to pay for the exam.
If you have questions regarding the NLN PAX exam please contact Student Services at 252-744-6477.
TEST LOCATION: The test will be given in the PRCC Nursing Building in the Computer Room on the Poplarville Campus.
TEST TIME: The test begins promptly at 9:00 am or 1:00 pm. You will be required to be at the test site 30 minutes early to check-in. The test session lasts approximately 3 - 4 hours.
REQUIRED TEST ITEMS NEEDED ON TEST DAY:
- Conformation of registration from NLN website
- Picture ID (driver’s license, passport, or student ID)
There will be no admittance into the examination site once the testing period has begun.
- Calculators cannot be used. No electronic equipment of any kind (cell phones, pages, etc.) will be allowed in the computer lab.
- Giving, receiving, or exchanging information while the examination is in progress is not permitted under any circumstance.
- Examinees are not permitted to refer to materials of any kind during the examination.
- The examiner has the authority to terminate the exam for any individual who does not adhere to the above rules.
- For your comfort, you may want to wear layered clothing or bring a jacket due to temperature variance in the computer lab.
“The Review Guide for RN Pre-Entrance Exam” written by the National League for Nursing is for sale in the PRCC Bookstore, or you can order directly from Jones and Bartlett Publishers by calling 1-800-832-0034, or go on-line to www.jbpub.com.
TEST RESULTS: Results are sent directly to you and to the school you have requested by entering the school code on the application form. Test scores are kept on file for three years following the examination date. The school will receive your score report after you receive your results. An NLN score of 110 points or more is needed to receive a composite score of 50% or higher for admission consideration to PRCC ADN program.
FOR SCORE INFORMATION: The PRCC Department of Nursing Education admissions office has scores on file, if taken at PRCC. If you have taken the PAX-RN exam at another testing site, the score must be obtained from the NLN office in New York, or the nursing school may send an official copy of your scores to the Director, Department of Nursing Education at PRCC. To obtain NLN scores from the National League for Nursing, you can go on-line to www.nln.org/pre-admission or call NLN Pre-Admission Test Service at 1-800-669-1656.
TEST SITES: For a list of testing sites in your area, visit www.allnursingschools.com or www.nursingprofession.com. Jones & Bartlett Publishers has a publication titled “State Approved Schools of Nursing” that will provide you with a listing of nursing schools. You can get this publication on line at www.jbpub.com or call 1-800-832-0034. You may also contact the nursing schools in your area. If you take the test at another location, use school code 344543 to have the score sent to the PRCC Nursing Department.