Limited to Space Availability in Level III of the ADN Program
The LPN to ADN Bridge Course is designed to enhance the knowledge learned in the Practical Nursing program and make the transition into Level III of the ADN program. This course focuses on the fundamentals, the theory and practice of medical-surgical nursing, and the role of the nurse as provider of care, manager of care, and a member within the discipline of nursing.
The LPN to ADN Bridge Course is a summer course in the Nursing Building at the PRCC Poplarville campus. Students successfully completing the Bridge Course (“B” or higher) will be awarded seven (7) semester hours. The remaining required nursing course hours of Level I & II will be waived after successfully completion of Level III & IV: NUR 2104, NUR 2115, NUR 2203 and NUR 2209.
In addition to meeting all PRCC admission and ADN requirements, the LPN to ADN Bridge Course has specific program admission requirements as listed below:
- A copy of a current non-restricted LPN license
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA on required ADN general education courses taken
- A minimum of one-year experience as an LPN in an acute or long-term care setting within the last three years
- An NLN PAX-RN score of 50% or higher
- A completed Employer Verification & Recommendation Form
- An ACT score of 18 or equivalent
Selection of applicants is made by the ADN admission committee using a competitive selection process based on which includes College GPA, ACT score, and NLN PAX-RN score. Preferential consideration is given to in-district residents (Forrest, Hancock, Jeff Davis, Lamar, Marion and Pearl River counties), followed by out-of-district residents, then out-of-state residents. The LPN to ADN Bridge Course begins with the regular summer semester courses. All admission requirements are due by March 1. Letters of acceptance/declination will be sent after class selection has been made. Acceptance is based on space availability.
NOTE: Please note on the application form if you wish to be considered for the Fall selection to the ADN Program if the LPN to ADN Bridge class is not held.
REQUIRED PREREQUISITE GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES FOR THE LPN TO ADN BRIDGE COURSE
|MAT 1313||College Algebra||3|
|PSY 1513||General Psychology||3|
|BIO 2513, 2511||Anatomy & Physiology I & Lab||4|
|BIO 2523, 2521||Anatomy & Physiology II & Lab||4|
|EPY 2533||Human Growth & Development||3|
|ENG 1113||English Composition I||3|
|Total Required Prerequisite Credit Hours||20|
- ADN general education courses (above prerequisite courses) must be completed with a grade “C” or higher prior to beginning the LPN to ADN Bridge Course.
- General Biology I with Lab must be completed prior to taking Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab and prior to taking Microbiology with Lab. A student may waive General Biology I and Lab, if the student meets one of the following criteria:
- AP Biology Exam with score of 3 or better
- Successfully passing a comprehensive final examination in the subject area with a score of “70 or higher” and proving proficiency in lab techniques with a score of “70 or higher”
- See “credit by examination” in college catalog
- If the prerequisite course(s) have not been completed, an applicant must be enrolled in the course(s) during the spring semester prior to beginning the LPN Bridge course. If enrolled at another school, the applicant must forward proof of class enrollment with the ADN application.
- ADN completed general education course grades (including the prerequisite courses above) submitted at the end of the fall semester will be used to compute the GPA for the upcoming summer LPN to ADN Bridge Course.
- An LPN’s practical nursing program courses cannot be used for ADN general education courses.
- A currently working LPN who submits an LPN Verification & Recommendation Form and a copy of a current non-restricted license will have no time restrictions on ADN general education courses.
- An applicant that has attended another nursing program must provide a letter from the dean or director of any ADN or BSN program attended starting date of eligibility to return by the application deadline. The letter must be sent to the address on the front of this packet, attention to the Department of Nursing Education. An applicant that is not eligible for immediate return must wait five (5) years from the exit date to apply as a new student to the PRCC ADN program.
LPN TO ADN BRIDGE CURRICULUM
|NUR 2707||LPN to ADN Bridge Course||7|
|(Level I & II course hours will be waived after successful completion of Level III & IV courses)|
|NUR 2104||Women’s Health/Newborn Nursing||4|
|NUR 2115||Pediatric Nursing||5|
|*NUR 2012||Professional Nursing Forum III||2|
|BIO 2921||Microbiology Lab||1|
|SPT 1113||Public Speaking I||3|
|NUR 2203||Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing||3|
|NUR 2209||Medical/Surgical Nursing II||9|
|SOC 2113||Introduction to Sociology||3|
ADN general education courses must be completed with a grade “C” or better and all required (NUR) courses must be completed with a grade “B” or better. ADN general education courses must be completed before or within the semester of nursing (NUR) courses listed. If an ADN student withdraws from a required co-requisite general education course(s) within the semester, the student must also withdraw from the nursing course(s).
Recommendation: To prepare for graduation, it is recommended that all required general education courses be completed before or during Level III of the ADN program.
LPN to ADN Bridge applicants must meet all PRCC and ADN Program requirements for graduation.